Sunday 6 December 2009

Where are all the games?

As an English teacher in Taiwan, I'm continuously amazed by the wealth of games online.  Such games are great for teachers who have time to prepare particular lessons or who need to teach a particular grammar point.

However as many a cram school teacher knows, we rarely have more than a few hours to prepare multiple classes of differing English levels each day.  Cram schools typically plan there classes just a few days in advance, and while working with homeroom teachers can mitigate this to some degree, we're continually challenged to produce games on the spot that both inspire and maintain our students' interest.

This blog is a collection of easily adaptable flashcard, whiteboard and simple classroom games that I've built up over the last couple of years - and which can be used in any classroom (with a bit of tinkering!).   Many of the games here are old favorites (ex. hot potato, hotseat), whilst others I've often come up with on the spur of the moment. (Disclaimer - I accept out right that many of the games I claim to as 'my own' have probably been thought of elsewhere and to their 'creators,' I gladly take my hat off :)).

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.  This blog is an online tool I use to keep track of the games I play, to note down new ones and link to useful web resources.  As an online tool I welcome the contributions of others to develop a resource that others may use as well.  If you wish to contribute a game or let me know of an exiciting variation of one you've seen on this site please email and let me know.  English teaching is one of the most rewarding and exciting professions in the world and I hope that through this blog I can help add to that in whatever way I can.

Stephen McCutcheon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Super Dinosaur

The idea is simple: color two dinosaurs drawn on the Whiteboard every time a question is answered correctly.  However, there is a catch.  Ea...